The never-ending list of projects
Updated October 21, 2009
Updated November 18, 2007
This is where I keep my list of personal projects I’m constantly trying to find enough time for. It’s my life’s work to perpetually juggle these. They are listed here in no particular order...
- Update my portfolio, now that I have to start looking for a new job. Update Oct. 2009: Spent much of 2008 and early 2009 on this, and it’s pretty much done. Just need to add a few more critical projects to it. Many people have already seen it, although I haven’t launched it publicly.
- Finish the Ozzy logo vector. Update Oct. 2009: 88% done. I already used a version of it in a design.
- Finish the Google personal project.
- Start that web design group blog I’ve been wanting to do for a year. Update: Registered the domain, made some designs, but haven't gotten much further. Update Oct. 2009: Since I had this idea in 2006, a plethora of great design blogs have burgeoned on the net, so this one’s getting shelved indefinitely. Might have to sell that domain though, it’s a pretty decent one.
- Spec out the use cases and user flows for the software Jenny and I are going to make (codename: Stacks). Update Oct. 2009: This project evolved a lot and I worked on it a lot in 2008 and 2009. I evaluated several ways to do it, but decided to keep it as a smaller side project for now.
Make a logo/icon for Stacks.Update Oct. 2009: Done in early 2009!
- Write web design tutorials.
Decide which camera to buy — Update: approaching a decision...Update: Done! Bought a Sony Cyber-shot F828 before our Mexico honeymoon last year (Dec 2006) Hitchin' favors — Update: 1 down, 1 to go.Done!
- Redesign my website/blog. Update Oct. 2009: Mostly done. See “Update my portfolio” above.
- Convert all my CDs to MP3s. Update: Continually making progress. Update Oct. 2009: Made more progress in 2008 but had a setback in 2009 when out iTunes library became corrupt and the only was I could build it was to re-import the XML file. Unfortunately, this file doesn’t include your playlists, so we lost all those, although we recovered play counts, star ratings, and some other metadata. iTunes seems to have misplaced several tens of thousands of songs, too. They’re still on the HD, but for some reason they aren’t in the library anymore. So I have to try to fix that still.
Set up the Mac Mini as the home theater.Done!
- Try out software for remotely operating iTunes.
- Have my dad’s old slides scanned and archived, added to Flickr. Update Oct. 2009: Sent a trial batch to ScanCafe in late 2008, and was impressed enough to send the rest, which I haven’t had time to do yet. Although I just recently started organizing a batch to send off as soon as they send me a good coupon.
- Back up all my HDs; buy a Terraserver or something. Update Oct. 2009: Bought LaCie Rugged Drives for Velma and I to do off-site backup. Set hers up but still need to do mine : \
- Back up all my music to DVDs or something.
- Back up all my photos to DVDs. Update Oct. 2009: Done in 2008. Need to update for 2009.
Buy a Mac Pro.Done!
- Watch and sell/get rid of all my old VHS tapes; for those I want to keep, add them to my Netflix or Peerflix list. Update: Mostly because of Velma’s help, I was able to donate about half of the VHS tapes to charity.
- Convert one-of-a-kind and hard-to-find VHS tapes to digital (forests footage, etc.).
- Convert my personal one-of-a-kind Hi-8 tapes to digital (forests footage, protests, etc.).
- Hang more photos at home
- Sort through boxes.
- Make photobooks. Update Oct. 2009: Did many, many of these in the last two years. Got rid of a ton of stuff and finally properly filed a bunch of paperwork.
- Make personal business cards. Update: Working on some Moo cards. Update Oct. 2009: Made Moo cards. Need to do a new batch soon, now that they’ve upgraded them.
- Re-do and convert OzarkHandspun.com to strict xHTML and CSS. Update Oct. 2009: Made a first design, but haven’t had time for the coding yet.
Implement blog on OzarkHandspun.com.Done!
- Check all software for updates/upgrades (should do quarterly). Update Oct. 2009: Have done about once or twice a year.
- Back up all fonts (work and home).
Decide on iPhoto or iView Media Pro.Done! (Decided on iView) Update Oct. 2009: Switched to Adobe Bridge in 2008. Also started using iPhoto again in early 2009 when they added face recognition and geolocation data.
- Buy another stackable HD for the Mini,
and a spindle of CDs.Update Oct. 2009: Done! Put up shelvesDone! (bookcases)
- Create a Douglas Adams fan blog that Will and I can post to. Update: Started a design but didn't have time to finish yet.
- Fix photoblog’s browse function.
- Fix photoblog’s comments.
- Update to latest PixelPost version.
- Fix Velma’s self portraits gallery for IE.
- Write a case study about the Webshots icons.
- Fix phone and voicemail. Update Oct. 2009: Cancelled the VOIP.
- Convert BayAreaAction.org to blog. Done!
- EcoGuide.org as public wiki?
- HeadwatersForest.org as blog?
- Update Olya’s art website.